ALERTS BIG WAVES NAZARE
- Big waves season: October 2023 to March 2024
Wave* forecast** summary for next days (updated 18 September 2023):
September 19-26, 2023: medium wavesThe new big wave season (September/October 2023 to March/April 2024), starts to show some strength, these days, it should generate medium-sized waves* (see legend below).
Well-formed waves of up to 6 meters are possible, without wind damaging the waves, it should be good for strong surf, especially on the 21st.
Check the forecast again in the next few days, it may change.
Check graphical forecast
Big Waves Annual Calendar
Current Big Wave SeasonThe new big wave season already started in September/October 2023, see more information on when to go to Nazaré and how long you should stay to see the giant waves, in addition to other tips for tourists.
Check accommodation options in Nazaré here.
You will soon be able to subscribe to email notifications with big wave forecast alerts.
Nazaré Tow Surfing Challenge
Annual surfing competition info
The 2022/2023 winter season event did not take place, the waiting period ended last March and no date was set.
Last winter in Portugal there weren't many giant swells, due to the lack of big storms in the Atlantic Ocean, sometimes it happens.
Check the official WSL event website.
- Last event held on February 10, 2022: highlights video
- Current waiting period is during next winter in Portugal, from November 1, 2023 to March 31, 2024, no fixed date, notice by WSL
- More details about the annual big wave surfing competition in Nazaré
- The 2022/2023 winter season event did not take place, the waiting period ended last March and no date was set.